Pronouns. Personal Pronouns.


 PRONOUNS:

A pronoun is a word that take THE PLACE OF A NOUN. THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF PRONOUNS:


1- PERSONAL PRONOUNS:

PERSONAL PRONOUNS MAY BE USED AS:

1-THE SUBJECT OF A VERB.

2- THE OBJECT OF A VERB.


1- SUBJECT PRONOUNS:

The subject of a verb does the action of the verb. the personal pronouns I, YOU, HE, SHE, IT, WE and THEY can all be used as the SUBJECT OF A VERB.
STUDY THE FLLOWING TWO SENTENCES:

* LISA LIKES CATS. SHE HAS FOUR CATS.

*In the first sentence, The proper noun LISA is THE SUBJECT OF THE VERB LIKES.

*In the second sentence, the PRONOUN SHE is the SUBJECT OF THE VERB HAS.

EXAMPLES:

Here are some more pairs of sentences that show PERSONAL PRONOUNS USED AS SUBJECT OF VERBS.


1- My name is michael. I am fourteen.

2-My father works hard. He works in a factory.

3-My sister is older than me. She is Twelve.

4-Our dog is very naughty. it likes to chase cats.

5-Bob you are a bad dog.

6-David and I are playing football. we like sports.

7- Jim an jeff are my brothers. they are older than I am.


2-OBJECT PRONOUNS:

the object of a verb RECEIVE THE ACTION of the verb. The personal pronouns, ME,YOU, HIM,HER,IT, US and THEM call all be used as the OBJECT OF A VERB.


LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING TWO SENTENCES:

*LISA LIKES CATS. SHE LIKES TO STROKE THEM.

*IN THE FIRST SENTENCE, THE NOUN CATS IS THE OBJECT OF THE VERB LIKES.

*IN THE SECOND SENTENCE, THE PRONOUN THEM IS THE OBJECT OF THE VERB STROKE.

EXAMPLES:

* HERE ARE SOME PAIRS OF SENTENCES THAT SHOW PERSONAL PRONOUNS USED HAS OBJECTS OF THE VERBS:

1- Im doing my homework. Dad is helping ME.

2- Goodbye, children! Ill call YOU later.


3-where is jhon? I need to speak to HIM.


4-Miss García is very nice. All the children like HER.

5-The car is very Dirty. Mom is cleaning IT.

6- Uncle Harry called Mary to ask HER a question.

7- My chocolates are all gone. Someone has eaten them.



3- FIRST PERSON, SECOND PERSON AND THIRD PERSON:

*in grammar, the person who is speaking is called first person.

The one spoken to is called second person, and The one spoken about is called Third person.

* Here is a table to help you remember which pronouns to use:


                                  subject / object.

*First person singular:          *  I               YOU

*Second person Singular :     * YOU         YOU

*third person singular:  *He        Him
                                           

                                         *She         Her

                                         *  It          It



*First person plural:        * We         Us

*Second person plural:      *You         You

* Third person plural:        * They       Them
      

Exercise 1: Grammar: ejercicio de Gramática:

*Read the following Passage. Write the missing subject and object pronouns in the blank spaces:

my name is charlie---------have two brothers.---------- are both older than--------. Sometimes they take me to the park and---------play football togeher. I like playing football with--------- because they are very good. we are going to the park today. would you  like to come with---------?.------------ can all play together. Afterwards, -------------- can come to my house if--------- want to. I think--------will like my Dad. He is very funny and---------makes great pizzas. do------- like pizza?.


*put a video in youtube with the personal pronouns in first, second and third person.


Comentarios

Entradas populares